Lesson 3: Creating a Positive Environment
- Arrive early to set the room up as desired.
- Seating arrangement is determined by the tone or atmosphere
desired, as well as the physical limitations of the room.
- Check for the following: markers, erasers, lighting, room temperature,
number of desks/chairs, etc.
- Write your name and the course code on the board. (This helps
those students who might be in the wrong classroom.)
- Post the class agenda on the board.
- Greet students as they arrive.
- As students arrive have them fill out a 3 x 5 card with information that
you desire, such as name, phone number, past educational experience, why
they took the course, etc. If the class is not opposed, ask for a volunteer
to type a class roster with names, phone numbers, and/or email addresses.
- 5 x 7 cards can also be provided and tented to display the students'
names until the instructor learns all names.
- Use good human relationship skills, such as eye contact, active
listening, smiling, etc.
- Provide a ten minute break every fifty minutes and let students know
where food and beverage are available.
- Start on time and end on time.