Lesson 8: Sample Test Questions
Multiple Choice Items
Please rewrite the following multiple choice items to the benefit of the student.
- Sheldon developed a highly controversial theory of personality based on body type
and temperament of the individual. Which of the following is a criticism of Sheldon's
- He was influenced too much by the Freudian psychoanalysis.
- His rating of physique and temperament were not independent.
- He failed to use empirical approach.
- His research sample was improperly selected.
Improvement: (Eliminate excessive wording and irrelevant information in the question.)
- Which of the following is a criticism of Sheldon's theory of personality?
- The receptors for the vestibular sense are located:
- in the fovea.
- in the brain.
- in the middle ear.
- in the inner ear.
Improvement: (Include in the question any word(s) that might otherwise be repeated in each option.)
- The receptors for the vestibular sense are located in the ...
- Which is not a major technique for studying brain function?
- Accident and injury
- Cutting and removing
- Electrical stimulation
- Direct phrenology
Improvement: (Use negatively stated stems sparingly. When used, underline and/or capitalize the negative word(s).)
- Which is NOT a major technique for studying brain function?
- ________________ is the least form of behavior disorder.
- Panic disorder
Improvement: (When using incomplete statements avoid beginning with the blank space.)
- The least severe form of behavior disorder is __________________.
- The number of photoreceptors in the retina of each human is about:
- 115 million
- 5 million
- 65 million
- 35 billion
Improvement: (When possible, present alternatives in some logical order. I.e., from the smallest to the largest.)
- 5 million
- 35 million
- 65 million
- 115 million
- Latane and Darley's smoke-filled room experiment suggested that people are less likely
to help in groups than alone, because people:
- in groups talk to one another.
- who are alone are more attentive.
- in groups do not display pluralistic ignorance.
- in groups allow others to define the situation as a nonemergency.
Improvement: (All alternatives should be approximately equal in length.)
- Latane and Darley's smoke-filled room experiment suggested that people are less
likely to help in groups than alone, because people in groups:
- talk to one another.
- are less attentive than people who are alone.
- do not display pluralistic ignorance.
- allow others to define nonemergencies.
Find the errors, and/or problems with the following true-false items.
- _____ Repetition always strengthens the tendency for a response to occur. (Using "always" usually means the answer is false.)
- _____ The process of extinction is seldom immediate but extends over a number of trials. (Words like "seldom" usually indicate a true statement.)
- _____ The mean, median, and mode are measures of central tendency, whereas the standard deviation and range are measures of variability (Express a single idea in each statement. I.e., the mean and standard deviation are measures of central tendency.)
Matching Test Items
Find the errors, and/or problems with the following matching items.
- Directions: Match the following.
Improvement: Directions: On the line to the left of the theory of personality in Column 1, write the letter of the psychologist in Column 2 associated with the theory. Each psychologist in Column 2 can be used only once.
Improvement: (Use homogenous material in matching items, and if responses are not to be used more than once, include more responses than stimuli.)
What is wrong with this question?
- Describe asthma.
Improvement: (Clearly explain what is expected of the student and indicate how many points the question is worth.)
- Describe asthma. Include in your answer (a) the pathophysiologic features of asthma, (b) the clinical manifestations associated with an asthma episode, and (c) the management of an asthma episode. (9 points)
Open Hours for "Get The Grades Out Week"
December 9 - 12: 8 am - 6 pm
December 13: 8 am - 5 pm
December 16: 8 am - 6 pm
December 17: 8 am - 7 pm
To send an APPLEGRAM online,
fill-out the Applegram form.