Lesson 6: Tips on Administering Tests
- Take the test yourself and announce any typo's and/or changes at the onset of the test. Better yet, write them on the board.
- Arrive early to answer any last minute questions.
- Read the instructions aloud, even if printed on the test.
- Encourage students to look over the whole test so that they can use their time more efficiently.
- To discourage cheating, always stay in the room, and be watchful, but don't hover.
- Keep students apprised of time, particularly if their is no visible clock in the room.
- Write the beginning and finishing time on the board, and periodically, the time remaining if necessary.
- Announce the last "ten minutes."
- Keep to the finishing time to be fair to students that end on time.
- Do not add time for late arrivals.
- Consider a time limit for how late a student can arrive to an exam.
- Once the test begins, maintain quiet testing conditions. (i.e., Do not allow students to re-enter the classroom until all students have finished the exam.)
- Be consistent in how you handle questions asked during the test.
Center for Teaching Excellence
Technology and Learning Center, Room 324
Phone: (517) 483-1680
Additional contact information »
Open Hours for "Get The Grades Out Week"
Monday, December 9 -
Thursday, December 12: 8 am - 6 pm
Friday, December 13: 8 am - 5 pm
Monday, December 16: 8 am - 6 pm
Tuesday, December 17: 8 am - 7 pm
To send an APPLEGRAM online,
fill-out the Applegram form.