Lesson 6: Tips on Administering Tests
- Take the test yourself and announce any typo's and/or changes at the onset
of the test. Better yet, write them on the board.
- Arrive early to answer any last minute questions.
- Read the instructions aloud, even if printed on the test.
- Encourage students to look over the whole test so that they can use their time more
- To discourage cheating, always stay in the room, and be watchful, but don't hover.
- Keep students apprised of time, particularly if their is no visible clock in the room.
- Write the beginning and finishing time on the board, and periodically, the
time remaining if necessary.
- Announce the last "ten minutes."
- Keep to the finishing time to be fair to students that end on time.
- Do not add time for late arrivals.
- Consider a time limit for how late a student can arrive to an exam.
- Once the test begins, maintain quiet testing conditions. (i.e., Do not allow students
to re-enter the classroom until all students have finished the exam.)
- Be consistent in how you handle questions asked during the test.