FIRST—For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology
About Us / History
Star-TREC is the TEC@LCC (The Early College at Lansing Community College) FIRST® Robotics team. Otherwise known as Team 4294, Star-TREC seeks to impact their team members, as well as the community, by cultivating important skills in engineering, programming, public relations and marketing, teamwork, and leadership through the FIRST® Robotics Competition (FRC®).
Star-TREC (Star for LCC's mascot and The Robotics Early College) was founded on January 4th, 2012, exactly three days before the 2012 FRC kick-off, with only 7 team members. Helped in their rookie year by the Desperate Penguins team from Okemos, and mentors from LCC's main and west campuses, the team won their first district event at Kettering University, and eventually qualified for the State Championship in Ypsilanti and World Championship in St. Louis, Missouri. In their second season, 2013, they traveled to three state district events, winning two awards for excellent engineering of a mechanism used to pull their 120 pound robot up a steel pyramid.
The team hopes that through the wonderful experience of FIRST Robotics, they can inspire students to participate in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) and introduce them to real-world application of those subjects.
Watch videos from some of our competitions
Achievement and Accolades
- Troy FRC 2013 Xerox Creativity Award Winner
- Bedord FRC 2013 Motorola Quality Award Winner
2012 (Rookie Year):
- Kettering FRC 2012 Winning Alliance
- Kettering FRC 2012 Rookie Inspiration Award
- Northville FRC 2012 Rookie Inspiration Award
- Northville FRC 2012 Highest Rookie Seed
- Northville FRC 2012 Top 9 Team and the Captain of the Seventh Alliance
- State of Michigan FRC 2012 Rookie Inspiration Award
- State of Michigan FRC 2012 Highest Rookie Seed
- State of Michigan FRC 2012 Top 7 Team and the Captain of the Fifth Alliance
- Qualified to compete in FIRST Championship 2012 in St. Louis, MO
- 2012 M.A.R.C Balancer of the Year
Star-TREC is open for all Early College students and is also seeking team mentors in any fields.
Current Sponsors (in alphabetical order):
Sponsorship can be directed to:
Lansing Community College Foundation
(Star-TREC on memo line)
P.O. Box 40010
Lansing, MI 48981
LCC Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization;
All payments/donations are tax-deductible.