Motorcycle Safety Classes
Classes have ended for the 2016 season. Please check back in the Spring of 2017 for more classes.
Exciting Changes Coming to Our "Basic Rider" Courses!
Beginning in 2016, Lansing Community College will be adopting the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's new curriculum for Basic Rider Course.
With the introduction of its online eCourse, this updated curriculum takes a more interactive approach to education by taking a segment of your classroom learning experience right into the comfort of your own home! By covering key components of the motorcycle's basic operation prior to class (e.g. motorcycle controls, riding strategies, etc.), students will arrive in class ready for their hands-on training.
The eCourse will be a required component for all Basic Rider Course classes.
Everyone who adds their email address to mailing list will be notified when classes are open for registration.
Registration will be ONLINE ONLY
The cost will be $50. This fee is non-refundable.
Instruction is done in a controlled off-street environment located at LCC's West Campus.
5708 Cornerstone Drive
Lansing, MI 48917
Motorcycle Safety Training Course Information
Participants must have the ability to ride a bicycle.
Your class will be taught by Rider Coaches who are certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and have years of experience.
What We Supply:
Motorcycles used in the training and classroom materials.
What You Will Need To Bring:
- DOT approved full helmet with face shield or eye-protection (prescription glasses are NOT considered appropriate eye protection). It is important for the helmet to fit appropriately. If you need help selecting and/or fitting your helmet, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation has published a helpful guide on how to select and fit a helmet. More information here
- Riding/leather jacket or long-sleeved shirt
- Riding chaps or heavy jeans
- Full fingered riding gloves
- Over the ankle boots
- Must understand and agree that you will be dismissed from the course if you present a danger to your safety or the safety of others during any exercise or evaluation in the course.
- Must have no medical conditions or mental or physical limitations that would affect your learning or your safety or the learning or safety of others.
- Must have not used, or be under the influence of alcohol, prescription or non-prescription drugs or any other substance that could impair your performance in the course.
- Sessions will be offered on a first come, first serve basis by registration with Lansing Community College. (We ride rain or shine)
Frequently Asked Questions
Lansing Community College is changing to the new curriculum required by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. The new training appears to be very effective in helping students prepare for riding safely on the road. The updates have required a great deal of effort on the part of administration, support, facilities personnel and Rider Coaches here at LCC.
So, of course, there are questions!
If I complete the Motorcycle Safety Training class, will I still have
to take the written test and road test for the Secretary of State?
Once you have successfully completed the MSF course you will be able to bypass the riding portion of the test at the Secretary of State, however you still have to take the written test portion. That generally consists of 10 questions or so.
Can I pay with cash?
No cash payments will be accepted for Motorcycle Safety. Payment must be made at the time of registration. If you are unable to obtain a debit or credit card for payment, consider purchasing a prepaid debit card to use.
Can I sign up the day of class?
We cannot guarantee any class seat will be available to you for same-day registration. THERE IS NO WALK-IN REGISTRATION.
I want to sign up for the same course as my friends, can I do that?
Registration is based on a first-come, first-serve basis. We cannot guarantee any seats. Once a section is full it will be closed for registration. Try communicating with your party to make sure you all are registering for the same date.
My child is a minor and wants to take the course, are there any
If you are able, contact us to be provided with a waiver form prior to the class start date. All participants are given waiver forms, minors will need their legal guardian(s) to sign.
Will you be offering a Returning Rider Course?
No. Only the Basic Rider Course will be available. We suggest visiting the Michigan Department of State Motorcyclist Training Site Locator for availability.
Do I have to be an LCC student to register for this class?
No. This course is open to all who meet the state of Michigan's requirements for Motorcycle Safety. Visit the Michigan Motorcycle Rider Safety Training Program for more details.
More Frequently Asked Questions
Visit the Secretary of State Motorcycle Safety Program FAQ webpage for additional information.
LCC Contact for Motorcycle Safety Training:
For additional information, contact Lansing Community College Community Education Department at (517) 483-1415 or email, email@example.com.