LCC to Purchase Two Adjacent Commercial Properties
LANSING 9/17/12 – Lansing Community College (LCC) officials have been authorized by the LCC Board of Trustees to purchase two commercial properties on the west side of Capitol Avenue, adjacent to main campus.
One is an historic home, located at 515 N. Capitol, and is currently owned and occupied by the Michigan Sheriff’s Association. Constructed in 1886, its first resident was Louis Beck, who owned a men’s clothing store and served as Superintendent of Public Works for the City of Lansing. Known as the Louis Beck House and designated an historic building, the 2,957 square foot brick structure has also housed three law firms over the years.
LCC will also purchase the building next door at 505 N. Capitol, former home to the Michigan Catholic Conference and currently unoccupied. The college rented the 13,000 square foot building from 2003 to 2005 while the Paula D. Cunningham Administration building was under construction. The modern, two-story white brick building was constructed in 1966.
According to LCC President Brent Knight, the buildings will be used for academic programs. Modest improvements will be made to the buildings including upgrades to comply with Americans for Disabilities Act requirements, and the landscape and lighting will be enhanced and well-maintained.