LCC Radio 89.7 and the Gier Community Center Present
The 8th Annual Cardboard Classic!
TIME & DATE:
January 25, 2014
Doors open for registration at 1pm with the races getting started at 2pm
Gier Community Center, 2400 Hall Street, Lansing, MI, 517-483-4313.
More about Gier Community Center
$5 per sled
(Proceeds benefit Gier Community Center Youth Fund & Your Community Radio Station, 89.7FM)
Here's How it Works:
- Build a sled made of cardboard
- Hold it together with duct tape and/or glue
- Throw some paint on it to make it look pretty
- Race it down the hill and hope it stays together
You can save a little time by submitting your sled
information below. Please provide one entry per each race
you would like to enter. Then stop by the registration table
with your entry fee(s) the day of the Cardboard Classic and
let us know we already have your info.
Last day to register online: January 24, 12pm (noon)
You can still register at Gier Park the day of the Cardboard Classic.
* Required Fields
Rules & Regulations:
- Sled construction should consist primarily of cardboard, glue, and/or duct tape
- The bottom of sled should consist of only cardboard, glue, duct tape, and paint or whatever is used to color the sled
- Additional soft material items may be used to add to the aesthetics of the sled (ie. cellophane, yarn, sheets of fabric) so long as the main portion of the sled is still cardboard
- Hard items that could be dangerous to you or other event participants CAN NOT be used at all (ie. wood, glass, metal, plastics, foil)
- You can enter a sled in more than one race, but it is $5 per race entered
- More than one racer can ride sled during a race provided the sled can carry all racers
What's the Cardboard Classic?
Each year WLNZ, sponsors the Cardboard Classic event held at Gier Community Center. Contestants enter sleds made entirely of cardboard, paper, tape and glue, with designs only limited by the designer's imagination. Previous years' entries have included sleds designed as Viking ships, tanks, airplanes and even a plate with bacon and eggs.
All of the sleds are raced down the hill outside Gier Community Center, with each sled competing against the clock. The sleds are also judged on design, and awards are given out in the various categories.
There is a $5 registration fee. All of the funds go to WLNZ and the Gier Park Community Center. Registration begins at 1pm, and the judging will begin at 2pm.
Need more information?
PO Box 40010 Lansing, MI 48901