History Career Facts
The study of history can lead to a career in education, research, writing, and/or museum work.
We live in the present and plan for the future. Why concentrate on the past?
- The study of history helps us understand people and societies;
- The study of history help us understand changes and how the world we live in today came to be;
- The study of history contributes to understanding not only of events but of the complexities underlying those events;
- The study of history builds personal identity;
- The study of history makes better citizens;
- The study of history teaches essential skills like analysis, effective oral and written communication, and critical reading and thinking.
Why study history? Through the study of history and other liberal arts, the student gains critical skills and an enhanced capacity for informed citizenship, clear thinking and greater awareness.
Social Science and Humanities Department
Arts & Sciences Building, Room 201
Phone: (517) 483-1018
Additional contact information »