How to Apply for Apprenticeship
A. Watch for public notifications of apprenticeships.
B. Contact Michigan Department of Career Development (MDCD):
- List of companies in the area
- Types of apprenticeships available in the area
Pre-qualifications required include:
- Be at least 18 years old and have a sincere interest in the occupation or career;
- How to Apply for Apprenticeship
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED;
- Be physically and mentally capable of performing the tasks and duties of the job;
- Meet all employer pre-hiring and hiring requirements including completion of paperwork and passing a drug test and/or physical;
- Complete all Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training paperwork, provide any requested documentation and get needed signatures;
- Have access to reliable transportation to and from the work site and to and from school;
- Meet all local school and/or technical school work-based learning participation requirements;
- Agree to abide by all rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
D. Pre-qualifications preferred:
- Have a serious desire to become a professional in a specific occupation;
- Exhibit a willingness to work hard to achieve educational, employment and career goals;
- Have had some occupational classroom instruction and/or work experience;
- Show satisfactory academic and technical classroom progress and performance;
- Exhibit good work habits and the ability to follow directions and complete assignments;
- Be committed to quality work.
E. Complete application.
F. Take required apprenticeship tests.
G. Get test results (pass/fail)
H. If you fail, follow up to determine areas to improve.
I. If you pass, prepare for the interview:
- Review resume.
- Practice interviewing skills.
- Gather documents including high school diploma or GED, birth certificate, social security card, letters of recommendation and post high school training records.
J. Apprenticeship interview.
K. Receive results.
L. Wait for the job offer.
Technical Careers Division
West Campus, Room M103
Phone: (517) 483-1319
Additional contact information »